The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniOutliner for iPad (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=66)
-   -   What's the status of OmniOutliner for iPad? [A: Now available on App Store!] (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=19866)

Ken Case 2011-01-24 04:33 PM

What's the status of OmniOutliner for iPad? [A: Now available on App Store!]

I used OmniOutliner for iPad for non-testing purposes for the first time this last weekend, opening a document someone emailed me about Macworld, browsing through the content while collapsing rows and hiding columns I didn't need to worry about.

The rich text formatting seems to be working pretty well, though some of the text was temporarily mispositioned when I zoomed up the text size to 150% on the iPad. (It corrected itself when I started editing the text.) None of the attachments (images or otherwise) are drawing yet, and we're still working on issues with undo and redo when making a structural change while an edit is in progress.

So… we've certainly made quite a bit of progress! But we've also still got a lot to do.

Tinchohs 2011-01-25 12:20 AM

Thanks for the update. I am a bit lost with the status of OO for the mac. When can we expect version 4? I honestly miss that more than the iPad version. Perhaps because I have never had it in the iPad, but my desktop tool seems very lacking at this point. Thanks.

vegaz 2011-01-25 12:56 PM

[QUOTE=Ken Case;92238]
So… we've certainly made quite a bit of progress! But we've also still got a lot to do.[/QUOTE]

You cannot imagine what I'd give to have OO on my iPad now. I have to make some incredibly convoluted things to go on without it.
So... thanks for the update, and keep on with the good work!

wolfneuralnet 2011-01-29 04:08 PM

Ouch, and Syncing

Heard you guys demoed a version of this for the Macworld, which is exciting. I heard it had a great set of keys on the ipad just for indenting, etc. Sounds great!

Then I heard it was going to take another 6 months of development to get it out (mid-year, no date promised of course.)

Fine, I give up. Will find another solution for another six months.

But can you do a long-time customer and advocate a favor, and please include some sort of support for cloud based services such as iDisk or Dropbox (preferably DB?).

If its going to take six more months to get it right and out the door, at least give us a few good ways to interchange documents between computer and iPad that is flawless. Omnifocus of course is the best example, but I know you don't want to host all of our outlines (although I would happily pay you a few dollars a year to do that if you would like another income stream!).

Just please, please, please, don't make me manage this by hand, as I will not be able to use it if I have to do version management on my own since I use too many different computers and devices.

HappyCatMachine 2011-01-29 10:02 PM

Hey wolfneuralnet, check out carbonfin outliner. It has synching with its web app. I use it for all my outlining needs and the synch is flawless. The web app is pretty robust and slick feeling for a web app, it ain't google but it is not half bad.

I've been using it on my Mac at home, PC at the office, iPhone and iPad and have yet to even feel the seams between the cloud and desktop.

mitchellm 2011-01-30 04:26 AM

I second carbonfin outliner. It works very well. In fact, so well that I'm not fully convinced I'll get OO for iPad when it comes out.

I'm sure OO will be better, but right now I'm not sure it will be "better enough" to justify the price differential for me. We'll see. If somehow OO for iPad recreates the pure beauty and functionality of OF for iPad then I may switch.

At any rate, carbonfin outliner is very affordable and very good. Certainly worth using for the next few months, if not longer. And the whole web sync aspect works very nicely.

Tuomo Suominen 2011-01-31 01:46 AM

Dropbox syncing, please!

[QUOTE=wolfneuralnet;92468]please include some sort of support for cloud based services such as iDisk or Dropbox (preferably DB?).[/QUOTE]

Yes, please include Dropbox syncing. I don't know how much use I'd have for OmniOutliner for iPad without Dropbox sync. I bought OmniGraffle for iPad and it's pretty much useless as is (without Dropbox sync). I can't open existing OmniGraffle documents from Dropbox, and I can't save documents from the iPad to Dropbox for further work on the Mac.

whpalmer4 2011-01-31 01:35 PM

Sign up for the [URL="https://sync.omnigroup.com"]Omni Sync Service[/URL], which is free and supported by the Omni iPad apps and works with the Mac Finder, the iWork apps on the iPad, etc.

I can open OmniGraffle documents in my Dropbox in OmniGraffle on the iPad. Here's what I do:

Open Dropbox
Find the file and tap on it to open in Dropbox. See a bunch of XML.
Tap the "output" button at upper right (box with a curved arrow) and choose OmniGraffle from the resulting Open In... menu.

This does create a new document in OmniGraffle every time, and you can't save back to the Dropbox folder to my knowledge, but you should be able to open documents left in your Dropbox folder in this fashion.

HappyCatMachine 2011-01-31 10:00 PM

While Omni Sync is excellent the problem is much bigger than simply adding yet another file service to what is already a growing list. Apple has absolved themselves of responsibility when it comes to file management on the iOS. Unfortunately users suffer as is evidenced by the number of posts on app makers forums crying out for Dropbox, WebDAV, wifi, bluetooth, and iDisk support.

iDisk is stupidly expensive so a company's best and most responsible course is to provide access to the most used service as a priority and work their way down through the chain. It's a sad state of affairs really and I don't see why more people aren't up in arms about this serious oversight in iOS.

One unfortunate side effect I'd that many apps expect you to re-enter data into their apps rather than offering some kind of text file import. Writing such an import becomes much bigger a task when the OS provides no clear way to work with files.

Tuomo Suominen 2011-02-01 12:57 AM

Thanks for tips!

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;92533]Sign up for the [URL="https://sync.omnigroup.com"]Omni Sync Service[/URL], which is free and supported by the Omni iPad apps and works with the Mac Finder, the iWork apps on the iPad, etc.[/QUOTE]

I set up OmniFocus sync via Omni Sync, and that seems to work well. However, there's no method of setting up Omni Sync within OmniGraffle. There isn't even a settings panel, only the Import Document button in the top bar, which has the Copy from iDisk and Copy from WebDAV functions. If anyone knows how to set up Omni Sync in OmniGraffle for iPad, please let me know.

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;92533]I can open OmniGraffle documents in my Dropbox in OmniGraffle on the iPad. Here's what I do: Open Dropbox Find the file and tap on it to open in Dropbox. See a bunch of XML. Tap the "output" button at upper right (box with a curved arrow) and choose OmniGraffle from the resulting Open In... menu.[/QUOTE]

Thanks! Now I'm can open OmniGraffle documents from my Dropbox on the iPad, which is 50% of what I need. Hope this works in OmniOutliner for iPad also. (Although I'm still hoping for full Dropbox sync...)