The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Omnifocus vs Omniplan? (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=7565)

filmmaker 2008-03-21 06:49 AM

Omnifocus vs Omniplan?

Hi,

As far as I can see is above softwares pretty similar so why use the Omniplan instead of the cheaper Omnifocus?

Someone who know the differens?

Best,

Joakim

Toadling 2008-03-21 09:28 AM

Actually, OmniPlan and OmniFocus are very different. OmniPlan is a project management application, while OmniFocus is a personal task manager.

They're somewhat related, I guess, and some have asked for integration between the two. But if you're managing a team working on a project and want to track progress, predict dates, schedule milestones, and coordinate team members, OmniPlan is the one you want. If you're looking for a "to do list" and personal task manager application that embraces the GTD philosophy, then OmniFocus is the one you want.

filmmaker 2008-03-21 09:53 AM

Thanks for that.

Best,

Joakim

Brian 2008-03-21 09:54 AM

OmniFocus: task management for one person to manage their own tasks.

OmniPlan: used to chart out and organize a project with multiple people working on it, distributing out tasks to make sure that schedules are hit without overloading anyone.

ext555 2008-03-21 10:41 AM

omni plan is also useful for one person with multiple projects , who needs to reliably predict completion times on tasks and projects .

Omnifocus , true to GTD principles has no concept of " time required " to complete projects . Omni plan excels at what it's titled for " planning " .

I'm a registered user of both . You can really load your plate with omni focus , it takes a tool like omni plan to figure out just how overloaded you are . ymmv

rross101 2008-03-24 01:55 AM

[QUOTE=ext555;34816]omni plan is also useful for one person with multiple projects , who needs to reliably predict completion times on tasks and projects .

Omnifocus , true to GTD principles has no concept of " time required " to complete projects . Omni plan excels at what it's titled for " planning " .

I'm a registered user of both . You can really load your plate with omni focus , it takes a tool like omni plan to figure out just how overloaded you are . ymmv[/QUOTE]

I'd love to know how you do that - unless it is just typing everything in to each app twice?

A

ext555 2008-03-24 02:06 AM

you use the export feature in omni focus , omni plan reads it very easily ..

check the omni plan forums also , I use a method many refer to as " multiple projects as tasks " .

Depending on what perspective you use to export to omni plan , separate projects become inidividual tasks in omni plan or , tasks grouped by due date , or context etc .

yucca 2008-03-24 05:31 PM

If you just need to keep track of time commitments, then OF + a spreadsheet should do the trick.

As ext555 says, if you need to precisely predict and schedule your available time then OP + OF may be worthwhile.

I own both, and am still undecided about utilizing OP as ext555 suggests. Not that the idea isn't valid; the returns just may not be worth the extra effort in my particular case. For managing a big project at work, OP is clearly a win . . . and that is true even though I do all my reporting via spreadsheets.