The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniGraffle General (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Grid on/off keyboard shortcut problem (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=8174)

Leon Starr 2008-06-13 02:02 PM

Grid on/off keyboard shortcut problem

I wanted to set cmd-' so that it would toggle the grid on and off. So I set this up for "Grid" in keyboard settings. It worked at first, until it didn't. At which point I saw that there are two menu items both named "Grid". Underneath View, the one I want, and under Inspectors, the only place it works now.

Maybe there's a mac trick here I don't know about...

I would also like an icon for the customizable toolbar that would do the same, but it seems to not be available. (In fact, as a feature request, it would be really nice if I could put just about any command on the customizable toolbar as many of the ones I want are not available).

Leon Starr 2008-06-19 04:05 PM

Beta appears to have fixed it

So far so good. Not entirely confident that the problem is resolved, but after installing the beta, my shortcut seems to work okay.

Brian 2008-06-20 12:09 AM

Hmmmm... my guess is that the keyboard shortcut-setting bits in the OS don't expect multiple menu items to have the exact same name and get (justifiably) confused.

I'll write that up as a bug. Presumably, if we rename one or the other of those items, the problem wouldn't happen.

Leon Starr 2008-06-26 11:17 AM

Just wanted to confirm that I'm still having the same problem in the current beta. It just took a while to surface. My shortcut was working fine because I had not opened up the grid inspector. As soon as you do that, the confusion begins! So you're right, it's a menu duplication problem. Looking forward to seeing that fixed

Bill Van Hecke 2008-07-01 07:30 PM

Hi Leon,

We're working on the larger problem of the two menu commands with the same name, but I wanted to let you know in the meantime that there [I]is[/I] a "Snap to Grid" toolbar item. It's one of my favorites to toggle on and off, to see all the little squares hop into place. :)

Leon Starr 2008-07-01 08:08 PM

Yes, I've had that one on the toolbar and it [I]is[/I] nice. More toolbar choices would be better, however, like shape alignment and shape operations (union, intersect, subtract).

And I recently discovered and printed out the keyboard shortcut guide as it's always best just to memorize the shortcuts as you work along.

chroma 2008-11-01 09:52 PM

same problem other places

I'd like to request you guys handle this as a General Class of Problems.

I need to superscript/subscript inline.. so I've used keyboard shortcuts to create Superscript, Subscript mappings.. Unfortunately, the 'return to normal baseline' function is called 'Use Default' (Format->Font->Baseline->Use Default), which you guys have all over your menus.

Apple should fix their shortcut manager to allow multiple levels of hierarchy in the description, certainly.

And until then, I cant tell you how much it sucks to have to stop typing a formula and browse through four layers of pulldowns every time I want to go back to the baseline.

Joel 2008-11-02 12:53 AM

I'm only seeing "Use Default" in the Font Menu -> Kern, Ligature, Baseline submenus, which is Apple's default (see TextEdit and others).

Am I missing a spot where we're using it elsewhere?