The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Due Soon annoyance (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=13312)

Speireag 2009-08-04 09:56 AM

Due Soon annoyance

I understand the functionality of Due Soon, and I understand why people might like to have it. However, it works in one place which doesn't seem to make sense, and there's no way to turn it off.

If I set a task to start at a given time (often at the beginning of the work day) and be due at another time (often at the end of the work day), I don't want that thing showing up in my lists during the evening before. The lowest I can set "Due Soon" is 24 hours.

It seems to me that when the task hasn't even become available yet, OmniFocus shouldn't be throwing it up on my screen at all. This is especially true on the iPhone, where screen space is at a premium.

What am I missing? :) More often than not, when OmniFocus doesn't work the way I want, the problem is that I'm not understanding it correctly...

-Speireag.

CatOne 2009-08-04 11:49 AM

The "Due Soon" view will not hide tasks that are due within its window. In many ways, this is sensible: It's annoying when you have things which are due (or overdue!) that you can't see.

But if you are trying to use due dates or times as appointments, the view is going to be overly cluttered. Because, yes, items with a start date which have not been reached, _will_ be visible in the "Due Soon" view, if the tasks' due dates are visible within that view.

So you're not doing anything wrong.

Frankly, I got away from throwing due dates on everything, and went to using start dates and a more traditional view, because I had few things which actually _were_ due when I slapped the due date on them. I had the due date so I could see them in my "due soon" view, which was rather broken.

whpalmer4 2009-08-04 11:55 AM

[QUOTE=Speireag;64096]
It seems to me that when the task hasn't even become available yet, OmniFocus shouldn't be throwing it up on my screen at all. This is especially true on the iPhone, where screen space is at a premium.
[/QUOTE]
In my experience, the iPhone version will not display a due soon action whose start date/time has not yet passed. I just added an action starting a few minutes from now, due a few hours from now, and it was [b]not[/b] added to the Due Soon smart folder on my iPod until the start time arrived. However, once that time arrived it stayed visible in Due Soon, even after I pushed the start time back into the future, which seems a bit like a bug to me, if the previous behavior is intended.

Brian 2009-08-04 04:29 PM

This is a place where the iPhone and Mac apps behave differently. Mac app will include any "remaining" projects or actions in the Due Soon list when they qualify. (There is a feature request open on making this a preference; email the [EMAIL="omnifocus@omnigroup.com"]support ninjas[/EMAIL] to vote for it.)

iPhone app, however, only shows "available" projects or actions that are also due soon. (If folks want this to be a preference, or want the behavior to match the Mac app's, they should also email the [EMAIL="omnifocus-iphone@omnigroup.com"]support ninjas[/EMAIL].)

Bill, I wasn't able to reproduce your date-changing behavior - when I changed a start time so it was in the future, the action disappeared from the iPhone app's due soon list. If you've got repro steps, sending it to the support ninjas would be appreciated!