The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   Applying OmniFocus (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=51)
-   -   Start date problem (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=21008)

MCH 2011-05-11 07:54 AM

Start date problem

I'm trying to utilize start dates moreso than due dates so that I don't end up with a bunch of overdue items that aren't truly overdue.

However, I'm having a hard time getting items with start dates to appear in one of my perspectives. I've created a "today" perspective -- Sidebar: Remaining; Group Projects By: Start; Sort Projects by: Start; Availability: Available

The problem is -- when I have a Single-Action list of tasks (like miscellaneous personal items -- picking up dry cleaning, etc.), I can't get the start dates for individual items to matter.

If I give each task a start date, but don't give one to the list itself -- none of the items appear in my "today" perspective.

If I give each task a start date and give the list itself one -- the start date for the list trumps the ones for each task, making the entire list available at one time.

Isn't there a way I can give each task its own start date and then keep the rest of the list hidden?
(This same problem applies with projects, as well. Either every task in the project shows as available, or none do.)

psidnell 2011-05-11 08:47 AM

I think the conceptual problem here is that a task is "Available" if it's start date is in the past OR if it has no start date at all. There isn't a way to select only those items that have a start date in the past (that I know of).

I tend to use Flagged to achieve this: at the start of the day you'd look at any newly available tasks to see which ones you INTEND to start and flag them. After which - obviously - they'll show up in the flagged perspective.

I actually have custom perspective that filters on Flagged and Available that does the trick, so I can flag things in advance but with a start date in the future, and they only appear once the start date goes by.

whpalmer4 2011-05-11 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=MCH;97067]I'm trying to utilize start dates moreso than due dates so that I don't end up with a bunch of overdue items that aren't truly overdue.

However, I'm having a hard time getting items with start dates to appear in one of my perspectives. I've created a "today" perspective -- Sidebar: Remaining; Group Projects By: Start; Sort Projects by: Start; Availability: Available

The problem is -- when I have a Single-Action list of tasks (like miscellaneous personal items -- picking up dry cleaning, etc.), I can't get the start dates for individual items to matter.

If I give each task a start date, but don't give one to the list itself -- none of the items appear in my "today" perspective.

If I give each task a start date and give the list itself one -- the start date for the list trumps the ones for each task, making the entire list available at one time.

Isn't there a way I can give each task its own start date and then keep the rest of the list hidden?
(This same problem applies with projects, as well. Either every task in the project shows as available, or none do.)[/QUOTE]

You'll have better results if you do this showing contexts, not projects, because what you are really after is individual actions. In a context view showing Available actions, your single action list will show only those actions which have passed their start date (or have none).

MCH 2011-05-11 09:31 AM

[QUOTE=whpalmer4;97074]You'll have better results if you do this showing contexts, not projects, because what you are really after is individual actions. In a context view showing Available actions, your single action list will show only those actions which have passed their start date (or have none).[/QUOTE]

Thank you! This seems to have fixed my problem. My "today" perspective now has Actions Grouped By: Start and Actions Sorted By: Project.

I do wish there was a way to move the "start any time" list to the bottom, rather than the top, but it's easy enough just to hide the list. (I have a huge number of tasks I'd like to get to one day.)

whpalmer4 2011-05-11 12:20 PM

[QUOTE=MCH;97075]Thank you! This seems to have fixed my problem. My "today" perspective now has Actions Grouped By: Start and Actions Sorted By: Project.

I do wish there was a way to move the "start any time" list to the bottom, rather than the top, but it's easy enough just to hide the list. (I have a huge number of tasks I'd like to get to one day.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I think having the Start Any Time section at the top makes very little sense. If you're viewing a list by start date, you're most likely to be interested in the items which actually have one! The corresponding view by due date doesn't put all of the items with no due date at the front. View by completed doesn't list all the uncompleted items first. View by flagged doesn't list the unflagged items first.

The iPad initially had it right, but then was changed to match the Mac. The rationale was:
[indent]The reason items with no start date are listed at the top is because they're available first. The reason items with no due date (or completion date) are listed at the bottom are because they're due (or completed) last.[/indent]
I've resigned myself to having to scroll past the closed "Start Any Time" group :-) No reason for you to give up, though — use Help->Send Feedback to ask for a change or preference...

Brian 2011-05-11 02:33 PM

[QUOTE=MCH;97075]I do wish there was a way to move the "start any time" list to the bottom, rather than the top, but it's easy enough just to hide the list. [/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure we have a feature request open on this - if you email the [EMAIL="omnifocus@omnigroup.com"]support ninjas[/EMAIL], they can attach you to the request. (Items with more customers attached tend to get assigned higher priority.) Thanks!