The Omni Group Forums

The Omni Group Forums (http://forums.omnigroup.com/index.php)
-   OmniFocus 1 for Mac (http://forums.omnigroup.com/forumdisplay.php?f=38)
-   -   Context Advice Needed (http://forums.omnigroup.com/showthread.php?t=9430)

andyfraser 2008-08-17 05:00 AM

Context Advice Needed

Hi,

I only recently started using OmniFocus, on both the desktop (1.1 sneakypeek so I can sync with my iPhone) and the iPhone. I'm not new to GTD or contexts but some of the other systems I've used didn't have hierarchical contexts. I have a few questions:
[LIST=1][*]I have a small sequential project for sending a package. It consists of two actions:[LIST][*]Package item, context: Home, due: today[*]Post item, context: Errands : Town, due: tomorrow[/LIST]When I'm in context mode I only see the first action, in orange, as I should, with an orange '1' next to 'Home'. All good so far but why does 'Town' also have an orange '1' next to it? I know orange means 'Due Soon' and that's set to 2 days but it seems confusing to see that an item for 'Town' is due soon but no item appears when I select that context.[*]Related to the above, I set up a test action with a start date for Saturday and an end date for Sunday (i.e. it's something I can only do at the weekend). I was seeing the same due soon markers on Friday even though the action couldn't be done and the action wasn't appearing.[*] This extends to the iPhone. Unless I use location aware contexts it seems that I have to navigate my contexts to see what I can do. This makes sense. As with the desktop app I see that actions are due soon even when they can't be done yet. When I look at the 'Town' context with my project above I see 'None available; 1 due soon' which is confusing. In fact it's a little more confusing on the iPhone because 'Errands' currently shows 2 items (other actions I'm testing with), 'Errands : Other' shows the 2 test items but 'Town' shows 1. Because both apps show the same thing I guess that's how it's supposed to be. Any advice/comments are most welcome.[*] How are others working with contexts? I know it's an individual thing but I'm after a little advice really. It's tempting to have a context for each shop I use regularly to go with the iPhone's location aware contexts. This works pretty well on the desktop app but adds a lot of extra 'clicking' to navigate the context tree on the iPhone. Obviously, using 'Nearby Contexts' helps a lot, as it should, but I still have to navigate the context tree for other actions I can do. I know about 'Always Available' and have this set for phone and email contexts for use with my iPhone but that's not always applicable. Because I live and work near the town centre I see a lot of things in 'Nearby Contexts' and in some cases they can't be done i.e. a work project at the weekend can't be done but would show up in a nearby context.[/LIST]
Any advice on using contexts with OF on the desktop and iPhone will be most appreciated.