View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I know plenty of people who do stupid things. I do some myself. It doesn't make those things be any less stupid, just because they are more convenient than the less stupid alternative.

I don't know if CatOne was joking or not (I think not). I know I'm not joking. If you don't trust someone with your data, don't give them unsupervised access to a device that contains it. If you can't control the device because it belongs to your employer, don't put your private data on it. I agree it's a bit myopic, though; I wouldn't lend my laptop to someone I don't trust with my data, either!
I do appreciate that these forums, unlike others, seem to have thoughtful debate. I also appreciate that you recognize that although you wouldn't want your kids or family to use your device, you recognize (hopefully I'm not reading into your post) that for some of the thousands or millions of other users users out there, it isn't "stupid." I'm thinking of a lawyer friend of mine. He has a personal iPad, that his child plays around with on plane rides (anyone with a young child knows what a pacifier that can be in an otherwise horrible situation). He might like to use OmniFocus. Maybe the data in it isn't even that big of a deal, but he knows that technically he should be taking steps to secure it. That leaves him with three choices - spend $500 on a second iPad for that limited use, hope that OmniFocus can be password-protected, or don't use OmniFocus.

Anyway, that's the use case I can think of, although with all the users out there, I'm sure there are many more.