View Single Post
When your life is simple enough, move to Things. When your life starts complicated, move to OmniFocus.

I've done the same thing. I often use Apple iWorks' Pages and Numbers for most of my word processing and spreadsheet needs. Then I'll use Microsoft Word and Excel when the demands of my current project needs something stronger.

I'm fatigued from working through Things' limitations. So I've switched. On a podcast somewhere in my iTunes library, there was one guest who commented that he/she would keep his/her personal life in Things but keep his/her professional life in OmniFocus. He/She was switching between programs based on his/her needs of different parts of his/her life.

If you want to tone down the information overload in OmniFocus, you can control click on the column headers to show or hide the various columns. I've hidden the duration column because I don't use it like other folks do. Some folks even use this column as a way to get priorities into OmniFocus.

By creating and using perspectives, you can also simplify/focus what gets presented.

I have my projects perspectives and the left-hand sidebar lets me focus in on just one project at a time.

I have an Action perspective which shows me all available actions for all my active projects.

I have a Today perspective (a subset of the Action perspective) that lets me focus on only my flagged and due soon/due now tasks (the high priority stuff).

Then I have project perspectives that focus only on the 2-3 projects I have on my plate this week.

These are all perspectives that I emulated from Things. So simplifying and focusing can be done in OmniFocus.

If Things works for you, I'm glad that you've found the sweet spot. But you are free to use OmniFocus for more demanding agendas.

Last edited by wilsonng; 2012-05-27 at 03:42 PM..