View Single Post
Well, as David Allen said "It's all important right, otherwise, why would you spend time doing it?"

People prioritising _your_ work has a name: severity. I determine the priority.

My approach to prioritisation is to use a piece of paper (split into four quadrants "Do", "Waiting For", "Best Effort", "Doodle"). I start off with writing down all the due tasks I want to get done today in the DO quadrant, plus one or two best effort tasks, dig through my mail, add stuff in quadrant BestEffort, and then start cracking. At the end of the day everything that is left over is added to my action lists. During the day I glance at my "Flagged" todo lists once or twice.

That way I don't get lost in the sheer volume of stuff on my todo lists. Every week I review the whole list and flag the most important stuff for this week. To be honest, flagging it as important does not get the work done, and by the end of the week, half the prio 1 stuff, still is not done.

I'd still like to have multi-colour flags to be able to better prepare my week: flag for a week day, flag for private telephone calls I'd like to do during work time, low energy tasks, etc. just so I can pick out tasks more easily.