View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazokajoe_2k
I'm a poor student, I have no betting money :( But I would argue that you will see the use of torrent-based distribution increase in the next couple years.
I'm sure it will increase, there's no doubt there. But become as mainstream as HTTP? That's a whole other thing. That's like saying MS is going to sell as many Zunes in the next couple years as Apple sells iPods, but even less likely.

Quote:
However the argument that OmniWeb should not have a Bittorrent client within the scope of it's role is lost on me. I can only see that if that were the case, than HTTP/FTP/SFTP transfers should fall outside it's role as well and be handled by a dedicated application (like the Terminal!).
But HTTP is how one accesses hypertext documents. (Hence the HT in HTTP.) So that protocol, by definition, is part of the Web. OW doesn't support SFTP, so you're right there. FTP could fall outside of the scope of "Web" though. But it's important to know OW only does FTP listings. I think FTP gets grandfathered in as a lot of companies offered FTP downloads before they offered HTTP downloads.

A long time ago it wasn't uncommon to have two web browsers - one for HTTP and one for FTP.