View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvh
Howdy,

The tutorials in the OmniGraffle PDF-and-print manual do take the approach of working from nothing to a complete document; is this helpful to you at all?

As for videos, I agree that we should make some videocasts available for learning nice tricks about the software. That's on my Kinkless GTD list. :D
Well, it is true that the tutorials in the PDF cover from zero to complete document, BUT, again, along the way, only the basiscs are tought. Though you can create a complete document with just the basics, that still doesn't solve the problem of getting used to the nitty-gritty stuff. Actually, if you have some experience in 2D-drawing apps, most techniques tought in the tutorials are things that seem "standard", i.e. stuff you would do that way intuitively. I want to make my point that what is really lacking is some sort of training to really get finegrained controll over the app, e.g. when it comes to EXACT placement of lines and shapes the way I want and not the way Graffle wants - just to name one example. OmniGraffle - due to his nature as a diagramming versus an drawing app - has a behaviour that is, when it comes to these tasks, quite different from drawing apps. And here the documentation leaves you out in the rain.