View Single Post
Following is a suggestion I wrote to the ninjas a few days ago when reading the singleton threads. I'm reposting here.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

These terms:

Project
Context

seems to generate a whole bunch of tug-of-wars, especially concerning where to place Actions with no projects.

I submit that a slight change in terms in the toolbar may settle many conflicts.

The primary problem we have right now is that the term Project is too limiting on what the view really needs to be. If the view is called Project, then that's pretty much all you can display, Projects. Even the Inbox is displayed in the Project view. But Inbox doesn't really fit, does it? It's not a Project.

Just because GTD has Projects doesn't mean OmniFocus has to name one of its views Project. A better term for this view would be Review. Now this view can contain the Inbox, Projects, single actions with no Projects, etc.

According to GTD, when a person is actually getting things done they're working from the Context view. This view is fine.

By this simple change, now Actions with no Project can be shown in both Review and Context and everyone is happy.

So what will happen is this:

Any Action with no Context and no Project will be in the Inbox;

Any Action with no Project will be in a Review view folder called Non-Project Actions;

Any Action with no Context can't exit, because by definition, a person has to be somewhere, or in some Context;

All other Actions will have a Context and a Project and therefore will be in the Project Actions folder.

Now that there is a Review view, Smart Folders can also exist in this view and be used however the user wants.