View Single Post
While the detailed feedback is appreciated, would it have hurt to keep us updated earlier? This information is long, long overdue. E.g. the WebKit feature development freeze was announced way back in February, prior to the release of the OmniWeb 5.5.4 update. Would it have hurt to make an announcement then that this would enable you to concentrate on getting OmniWeb 5.6 out the door once the WebKit code had stabliised enough?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayjay
Ken, that's a fabulous response -- I really appreciate it. Because of the well-documented issues, I've not been able to use OmniWeb as much as I'd like lately, but nothing else comes close to matching its power and features, so you bring very welcome news indeed.
Unfortunately, this just isn't true any more. You can get very close to OmniWeb's feature set with Firefox and just a few extensions (e.g. Tab Mix Plus together with Showcase or Tab Catalog) or even Safari with Safaristand. Some of the features that TMP provides in Firefox even supersede what OmniWeb has to offer.

About the only feature that Firefox doesn't have a truly adequate replacement for (other than good integration with the OS, of course) is Workspaces. TMP in Firefox and Safaristand in Safari enables you to save sessions, but using those saved sessions is poorly implemented. While OmniWeb 5.0 blew other browsers out of the water in terms of features, those other browsers have since caught up (and passed OmniWeb in other areas) and there are few compelling features that remain unique to OmniWeb.