View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhm2006 View Post
Most of my folders, however, are areas of responsibility (or roles or goals or whatever terminology that applies to that type of organization), such as "Household."

I use several singleton lists there. One is "Purchases." In purchases, I have an action called "Grocery List" where I note items I need in the note field (not the routine items like milk and bread, but items I won't necessarily think of when I am at the grocery store). It is just a placeholder, not really an action, because I never mark it complete. I just delete the items I bought from the note.

Is that GTD? I think so. I need a way to get the items to be purchased at the grocery store off my mind until I am at the grocery store. Do I want the grocery list at the root level with my folders? No. Do I want it at the top level inside the Household folder? Not particularly.
I think I'm starting to get a better understanding of the objections to treating single actions and projects as one-in-the-same. The issue as I understand it it that there are *actions* and there are *lists*, and many are using OmniFocus to manage both, while I use a separate application to manage my lists.

I don't think the two ideas are incompatible with each other, we just need to redefine a few things.

What if "single actions" and projects were treated the same (listed in the library/projects/whatever-it-gets-called list), and then there was a "Lists" collection, at the same level as Inbox and Library, that contained checkbox items, as done in OmniFocus? I could see, e.g.

Inbox
- all my inbox items

Library
- Single Action
- Single Action
- Project (Multiple actions)
- Project (Multiple actions)
- Single Action

Lists
- Grocery List
- Movies to See
- Books to Read

Important in this suggestion would be the ability to open and close all of the top level items, so I can, e.g., see only the items below my Lists.

Of course, all folder organization that works under Library should work under Lists, so I can organize my lists as I see fit.

I threw together a mockup in OmniOutliner (using Omni's own icons; I hope that's OK!). I wonder if this works for folks?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	OF mockup.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	290  

Last edited by jasong; 2007-09-05 at 03:30 PM..