View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by al_f View Post
I struggled with waiting fors as well initially. The workflow I've settled on now is entering a waiting for in a project after each delegation step, so the waiting for automatically becomes active once the delegation action is done e.g.

Email Bill to ask for copy of proposal (computer)
Bill - copy of proposal (waiting for)

I look at the waiting fors in my reviews (usually weekly but more often if I've got a few time-critical things on the go) and fire off quick less-than-2-minute reminder emails if anything is taking longer than it should, thus avoiding the need to enter new email actions for the reminders.
Thanks for the workflow alf.

I've thought about that, and attempted it a couple times, but what happens is sometimes I won't need that waiting for... usually for making phone calls.

At which point your response would be... then don't enter it for phone calls. :-) But then there are the phone calls where I leave a voicemail, and now I have a need for a waiting for.

I'll never know if I have a waiting for... until I process the item.

However, for email, there is always a delay, this would probably work well for emails.

What waiting for's are there?
Emails, which happen always when an email is sent and you need a response. But not all emails sent need a waiting for.
Phone calls, after leaving a voicemail.
Another event to happen in another one of my own projects.
Another event to happen with another person outside my projects.
(example:
sync third party apps with iPhone.
-waiting for leopard.
(I don't really have that in my list, but that is the type of waiting for's I have had for projects)

I can't think of any other time I would use a waiting for? Anyone else have a waiting for example?