Thread: OF vs. Things
View Single Post
I was wondering about exactly some of these points earlier. I even made an action in omnifocus to send feedback about this! Looking at Things, areas is precisely what I thought OF to be lacking. There's no space for ongoing, large-scale, perhaps unfinishable projects. I've sort of solved this by having subfolders (within 'Personal' I've got a 'Keeping Fit' folder, within 'Academic' I've got different folders for each of my courses) - so having them as folders seems to put across the idea that they're semi-permenant ongoing projects that will never really be completed, or at least not in the time frame projects are supposed to be. But it feels like a band-aid solution.

I'm not sure about the interface, it's only a matter of time before all apps end up looking like that and you end up mixing up your finder with your itunes with your everything else. I don't mind that OF looks different, or 'un-leopard'.

I remember reading a quote from one of the creators of Things, saying that he finds it wrong to have two separate areas of the app with one devoted to contexts and one to planning - that these should be integrated as they are in Things. But in my opinion it's good to have two areas as each area requires a different frame of mind: one for planning, one for action. Actually, it would be great if some sort of script could jazz up the context area to make it more fun to read. Imagine looking at it like a WoW quest log or something. (maybe that's just me :p)

I'm still tending towards OF because of Omnigroup's great rep, great track record with other apps, my experience of Omnioutliner, integration, and so on. But I will admit there is something in this Things which is tempting.

Last edited by Melan; 2007-11-20 at 10:29 AM..