View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey View Post
Not really an issue, it just means that when you're looking for something to do and you don't winnow down some other way (say, by focusing), you'll see 95% of your actions. Is that a problem? If not, no issue.
That's what I am saying. Not sure if it will be a problem or not yet. Will have to wait and see.

Quote:
Then your Office context isn't the right one for the actions inside it (which may explain why 95% of them are there; they're in the wrong context).
I kind of agree with this.

I started out with context divided into certain applications (web development, database development, workflow development, systems integration, etc). But this didn't work out either, so I retrenched into a minimal set of contexts.

Quote:
Right now, I have exactly two actions under Office: "Clean up desk at work" and "Get a stapler from the supply closet". I have dozens of work-related actions, however, it's just that none of them require that I be in the office, they just require that I have some time to devote to them (and in some cases a computer, or specific type of net access, or a phone, or access to my boss or a coworker). I think perhaps you're equating "context" with something it's not: "general project area" or "mindset" perhaps?
Maybe.
I understand the concept of context, but I also need to find a balance of how to define them for my work style.
The big issue I have is how to divide and conquer these "borders" (because I often do "work" projects at home):
- there a definitely some things that I HAVE to do at the office (these are no problem defining)
- there are some things that can just as easily be done at the office or at home
- and there are many things that can be done at home as long as I grab a reference file first

Right now, all three of those items are in the same "Office" context, which is probably not right.
Maybe I just need to come up with three terms to fit the above scenarios, and use those as the contexts...

Quote:
Reading and Training are contexts only insofar as you need specialized resources to do them. If you have paper matériel required for the reading action, is it at home? Then your context is Home. Is it at the office? Then your context is Office.
Well I have an iLiad (http://www.irextechnologies.com/) and a MacBook Pro, so they are almost always with me...
Which brings me to the point of my original post - it is hard to define contexts in this modern world we live in, because often times, I can choose to do ANYTHING! (I always have my computer, I always have my phone, I always am online, etc).

Thanks again for the ideas!