View Single Post
I hate it. I want my window to be a certain size, and I want to adjust my columns to fit within that window. If I want to change my window size, I'll change my window size.

Try this: open a new window. Make it wide to your desired size the "normal" way. It expands one of the columns (the name column in my case). Make the name column narrower, because you need less space for it, and more space for Contexts. Your window shrinks too. Now expand the context column wider. Your window expands too. You need to play around with the column widths to get your window width right.

Try the same thing with another Mac app, say Mail. Open a new viewer window, and make it wide the "normal" way. It expands one of the columns (From, in my case). Make the From column narrower; you window remains at your set width, and the last column expands (Attachments in my case). Now that my window is set, I can change my column widths as I see fit.

In Leopard (at least), you can't make the columns so wide as to push other columns off the edge, so your window width is the size you have for each of your columns, and Mail is smart enough to keep you within that width.