View Single Post
Quote:
Don't make it sound like WebDAV is super tricky and there was no way you could have avoided the initial problems. WebDAV is a standard protocol used all over the place. -- yann
Yann, you're wrong. Whilst WebDAV is a standard, few implementations conform to what you would interoperate. I've tested 5 WebDAV implementations in the last 72 hours, and only two of them are close enough to be called "baked." The two that work are WebDAV on my own Leopard, and the free miscit one set up for OF testing. There's a world of difference between reference and implementation.

Quote:
everyone uses Cpanel, it's one of the most popular default control panels for any linux/Apache systems, in my capacity as a web designer for the past 10 years, I have rarely come across anything else. -- Tetsugaku-San
Just because your breadth across implementations is so narrow it's no good reason to brag about it. I've been working with UN*X systems since the early 1980s, and with TCP/IP-based infrastructure since 1993, and with commercial ISPs since about the same time. I've never heard of CPanel until today. It's good that you crave consistency in your work environment, but presuming that your experience somehow informs the rest of the computing world is really, really wrong. Heck, even "Linux"es don't often interoperate, and let's not even start chatting about POSIX.

Kudos to Ken & Co. for dealing with such blowhards in a calm and collected manner. Better than I could have done :-)