View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
Anjan, OmniFocus has been the top-selling productivity application since it shipped on the iPhone, outselling the $1.99 "to do" application right next to it. You may not appreciate the value of all of the work we put into this application, but it's clear that many of our customers do.

OmniFocus is an application that I expect to use daily for years. Are you really saying that it's worth less than the price of two games that I'm likely only going to use for a few months (if that)?
Ken,

I can see the point you are trying to make but you have to understand that the expectations of a fair priced, well made software is something we have come to expect of Omni. When you have severe issues like I'm reading on this forum, even after the update, I don't think its worth spending the $20 on. Come to think of it, are you compensating users for their loss of data/time? Or there is no implied punitive effect of releasing an obviously beta level software?

I hate making direct contradiction to claims but Ken you are waaay off the mark to claim Omnifocus as the top productivity app. I see that listed at #23. The following substitute apps (can be possibly used instead of OF except it doesn't sync with Desktop OF) are ahead of you -
  1. YouNote (Free)
  2. Evernote (Free)
  3. Evernote (Free)
  4. Zenbe Lists (Free)
  5. To Do (Free)
  6. reQall (Free)
  7. DoBot Todos (Free)
  8. EasyTask Manager (Free)
Point to note is that none of these apps (and others like OF, Things, ToDo) are ready for prime-time. They are unreliable and are causing severe problems for users that relied on them. I manage software development so don't think I don't understand the complexity of software engineering. But there is some inherent responsibility when you are charging for your product - A SLA if you will. And when you are charging a relatively high price - there is, justifiably, expectations of quality above and beyond. OF is failing terribly by the nature of problems users are encountering. The applications I work on are licensed for six figure amounts PER YEAR. If there were problems like this then I'd be out of a job.

First develop an application that DESERVES $20 and then claim that a lot of work went into developing it. And see if users buy your premise that other developers selling software are not hard workers or working for a pittance. You are free to charge any amount you want but when other developers provide a complete 360 degree GTD app for half your price, who do you think would pay twice? GL with that :)

Last edited by Anjan; 2008-07-28 at 11:36 AM..