View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by abates17 View Post
Now, can you tell me that you can look at a list of repeating tasks and completion dates and repeat periods, and tell me on the fly which one was done the least recently?
Using GTD, I don't have the need to know which tasks were done the least recently - so this [Life Balance] priority system doesn't provide any value for me.

My intuition, which is calculated through my goals (as defined in my horizons of focus) and active weekly reviews, tells me instantly what I want to do. My hard landscape is on my calendar, so those hard deadlines can supersede as needed.

To be frank, I wouldn't trust a automated system to tell me the priorities of cleaning my windows versus cleaning my garage. Unless Life Balance comes with sensors that detect dirt, my intuition (with data gathered through observation) will always give me better results in choosing what should be done first. If I see dirt on my windows, and that the garage is not in need of maintenance - Life Balance's "dynamic" system isn't helpful - it becomes misleading.

We are the executives of our lives, of our decisions. We need to be in control, vetted with perspective, rather than hoping that a automated system can maintain control of our decisions, and magically choose our priorities as accurately as we, ourselves, can.

•••

In terms of development that meets variable concerns, I am keeping my hopes open regarding Ken's post. That way, the priority zealots will have a tool that GTD'ers can hide and not be (overtly) affected by. And this dead horse can be buried without further dismemberment. :)