View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lecter View Post
Using GTD, I don't have the need to know which tasks were done the least recently - so this [Life Balance] priority system doesn't provide any value for me.
I am also using GTD, and knowing which tasks were done the least recently does provide value for me, as I explained. And using GTD, it doesn’t matter to you how a list is sorted, so even if you had a system like this set up, it wouldn’t get in your way at all. Right?

Quote:
My intuition, which is calculated through my goals (as defined in my horizons of focus) and active weekly reviews, tells me instantly what I want to do.
And I’m more concerned about what I NEED to do, not what I WANT to do. When I know which tasks have been done the least recently, those bubble up to the top, so I am aware of them.

Quote:
To be frank, I wouldn't trust a automated system to tell me the priorities of cleaning my windows versus cleaning my garage. Unless Life Balance comes with sensors that detect dirt, my intuition (with data gathered through observation) will always give me better results in choosing what should be done first. If I see dirt on my windows, and that the garage is not in need of maintenance - Life Balance's "dynamic" system isn't helpful - it becomes misleading.
I don’t want to bother with walking around and examining every window and floor and counter in my house before deciding what needs to be done! I want to vacuum my floors on a weekly basis. I want to clean my windows monthly. I want to clean my counters daily. I do not have the time nor the inclination to walk through my house every day and say, “Do the floors need vacuuming? Should I wipe down the counters?” Using a system like I described, the items that have been done least recently (according to MY priorities when I set them up) will automatically bubble up to the top.

Quote:
We are the executives of our lives, of our decisions. We need to be in control, vetted with perspective, rather than hoping that a automated system can maintain control of our decisions, and magically choose our priorities as accurately as we, ourselves, can.
When did I ever say, or even imply, that I was not in control of my own decisions? Having a list sorted by priority does not require me to do the top item on the list, any more than if the list were sorted alphabetically. It just gives me more information (more perspective, if you will) that I can use to help make my decisions. I am using GTD as well, WITH priorities, and there is NOTHING about having priorities that contradicts using GTD. Priorities do not keep me from reviewing my list of tasks and finding something to do; they do not keep me from reviewing my projects on a weekly basis. They merely provide one more piece of information that I can use. And frankly, I am surprised at how many people complain that a prioritization system means that we want our systems to “magically choose our priorities” for us.

Quote:
That way, the priority zealots will have a tool that GTD'ers can hide and not be (overtly) affected by.
Please don’t imply that “priority zealots” and GTD’ers are two separate groups. And again, why would you need to hide a “priority” field? At worst, it is one extra field that you wouldn’t use. And since you are always scanning the list anyway, why would it matter how the list is sorted?