View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT View Post
2. My day-to-day account is a non-admin, Standard user account. If you attempt to drag and drop an application update into the /Applications folder and overwrite an older version you will be:

(i) warned that you have insufficient privileges to perform the action (correct)
(ii) prompted to enter an admin username and password (correct)
(iii) told that you are trying to overwrite an older version of the app (correct)
(iv) However, after clicking OK to proceed with the overwriting, 90% of the time you will be told that the attempt failed because you have insufficient privileges (incorrect - I’ve just entered the correct admin username and password and should therefore have sufficient privileges),
(v) Even though the attempt “failed” the OS has, in fact, partly overwritten the old version so it will no longer launch and when you try and repeat the drag and drop you are warned that you are now about to overwrite a “newer” version of the app (woefully incorrect). However, at least the overwriting will succeed this second time.

While this bug is infuriating, the worst thing about it is that is also completely inconsistent. Invariably, whenever I try to do a screen recording of it in action, it won’t happen, but if I am just getting on with an update while on my day-to-day business, it will fail the vast majority of the time.
I have this problem — I gave up on Spaces within one day, and your other points don't seem to have impacted me — and have assumed it's a timing error, that the "You don't have sufficient privileges" alert comes up in less time than the administrator username and its password take to register.

On the other hand, I've never been told that I am trying to overwrite a newer version of the app, but occasionally one comes up which just continues to say I don't have the privileges. The only thing to do, it seems, is delete the old one manually and then install the new one.

As to doing a screen recording, I've found that this only happens with the first in a number of upgrades ... that once the system has picked up on the administrator username and password for the first upgrade in a series, it will go through the process without a hitch for the rest. And guess whose apps give me the most trouble from this point of view ... yep, Omni apps! Don't know why; maybe it's just that they have a tendency to be the first ones I upgrade when I have several to do.

Mark