View Single Post
I'm also getting 60-90 second sync times, or longer. Latest versions of all software, syncing via Mobile Me. Syncing is nearly instantaneous on MBP, not so on my 3GS phone.

Some ideas:
  • The number of sync files shown on the phone pre-sync isn't a great measure of the sync time. The number doesn't include the number of files on the server which need to be downloaded and processed.
  • The desktop/laptop machines have a huge advantage in processor power. So as the number of changes to be processed grows, the iPhone will fall further behind the desktop.
  • My usual process is to sync my iPhone and MBP in the morning. I spend most of the day at my computer, so don't tend to sync the iPhone, or even touch OF on it during the day. I also use a bunch of checklist style template projects. It's not unusual for me to build up 100-200 zip files during the day. Long OF syncs result.

I always switch to the info screen during long syncs and watch the status bar. If I let the sync complete, then do another sync after that, the second sync is usual very quick.
  • I wonder if there is a memory issue at play. How often are people power-cycling their iPhones? (I mean a full power down: 5 seconds on the sleep button, then slide the red slider.) Perhaps there's a correlation between rebooting the phone and sync time.

Could people post their reboot frequency and whether they are having long/short syncs?

I'm occasionally having long syncs and only reboot every couple of weeks.

Curt