View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
During your periodic reviews, take any projects that are on the front burner and shuffle them to the top of the sidebar, both giving them higher priority in the lists and putting them out "in the cache" for faster/easier access.
Clever. Correct me if I'm wrong, but in order to make something "high priority" and get it to the top, I'm removing it from the hierarchical structure. Either I need to complete it soon, or I need to put it back again, or let my out-of-structure high-priority stack do exactly what my regular desk does; have piles that just keep getting larger and larger. {sigh}

I think the fact that you have to have two different containers, one where they're organized by subject, and another where they're ordered by priority, and you have to move things from one to the other because OF doesn't currently allow a project to have both properties, is a very clear case for the missing functionality of an actual priority value.

Even with my current structure, I know that the time and mental effort required to decide where a new project should go is not insignificant. *Anything* boring that I have to do repeatedly is effectively impossible. I don't have periodic reviews: they're boring boring boring. I have aperiodic ones. Re-filing projects that have fallen below the "high priority" cutoff is a non-functional solution for me.

Only the fact that OF is actually incredibly streamlined lets it work for me at all, and it still teeters on the edge of being too unwieldy. I am, to be sure, in many ways an outlier user. But it seems fairly clear to me that priorities would save YOU time and effort as well.

Hopefully we'll see that functionality appear sometime soon.