View Single Post
What I like to do is is to create two major folders. One folder is called "Active". The other folder is labelled "Someday/Maybe"

Inside the Active folder, I have placed subfolders featuring an Area of Responsibility such as Health, Work, Professional Development, Personal Development, Kids, Marriage, etc. I also have this same folder setup in my Someday/Maybe folder.

Whenever I think of a new project, it is automatically placed in Someday/Maybe's folder and the status is set to "On Hold". I already have enough things in my Active folder to keep me busy.

During my weekly review, I will look at my current Active folder and see if I need to put some projects back on hold or delete it. I would then either delete it if it is no longer significant or change the status from Active to "On Hold" and move it back to Someday/Maybe. This places projects on the backburner. It's still there but my focus goes to other projects now.

I will keep some projects in the Active folder from last week. Then I'll go through my Someday/Maybe folder and look for any projects that I want to bring to the forefront. I'll drag it from Someday/Maybe into its respective Active folder and change the status from "On Hold" to Active.

I've learned to use the Big Rocks rule. Choose three to five big rocks or projects that I want to focus on for this upcoming week. Then put them into Active status, drag them to the Active folder and get to work on them. I know that if I keep my focus on these big rock projects, I can finish them. I don't necessarily like to multi-task (do a little bit of this project and a little bit of that project). I've found that if I can focus on these big rocks, I'll complete them faster. If I feast and graze on too many projects, I'll end up with little forward progress. I would rather focus on the big rock projects so that I can complete and clear them out of my OmniFocus list. If you do a little of this and a little of that, you'll still have unfinished projects and not get anything done.