View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by macula View Post
Let's say I have a task with title "Tune the piano", due date 1/1/2010 and due time 10:00.

Upon syncing via MobileMe, an event titled "Due: Tune the piano" is created in the OmniFocus-Reminders.ics calendar , with the same due day and time. So far so good.

Unfortunately, if I later change the title of the task to "Tune the harp", or if I modify the due date or time, the changes are not reflected to iCal.

As you understand, this is a serious bug—bad things can happen when reminders do not work as expected!
There's no bug. If you change that task's title, when OmniFocus does its next sync it will attempt to propagate the change to the reminders calendar. Whether the calendar app on the iPhone/iPod Touch or iCal gets that change in a timely fashion is dependent on factors outside of Omni's control, such as your settings for fetching data in the Mail, Contacts, Calendars settings. Also, if you've turned off auto-sync on the iPhone, you'll have to remember to do a sync if you want the calendar updated.

Quote:
Allow me also to ask for one more clarification: I presume that, if I create a task with a reminder on the iPhone version of OF, and my Mac is turned off, the reminder will still be created in the iPhone calendar?
Yes, the Mac is not involved in the process with OF 1.7.5 or earlier. The iPhone app modifies the calendar on the MobileMe server directly. One of the features planned for 1.8 is similar code for the Mac application, to get the change out there more expeditiously (and help out those people using only the Mac application, of course). You'll still be dependent on the calendar application on the device you are using fetching the new calendar data in a timely fashion.

Quote:
I wish Omni had come up with a healthier approach to reminders.
Like what? Apple currently doesn't provide developers the means to put up notifications without relying on an internet connection to a server and/or the application running at the time of the notification. The Omni approach has predictable behavior, and works for both iPhone and iPod Touch users (and Mac users, too!) If Apple gives them the tools needed to implement a better solution, I'm sure the Omni developers will put them to good use.