View Single Post
If you look up to one of my earlier posts in this thread, I give an example dealing with watering and fertilizing some orchids where I use an action group in a SAL.

I don't like projects that don't have endpoints, or that have endpoints like "Take care of the cat until it is dead" :-) For such open-ended "projects" I prefer to use a SAL, possibly with some action groups. For me, the difference in behavior regarding next action vs. available between parallel projects and SALs is inconsequential, in large part because I don't make much use of the next action view. Your mileage may vary, of course.

Sometimes I'll have an ongoing activity where I'll choose to set it up as a repeating project because I may want to put it on hold or otherwise treat it like a project or because I think there is some reason to have the active or completed chunks live separately. An example that comes to mind is a pair of projects to change the ceiling fans to run in summer or winter mode. They aren't symmetrically placed in the year, so having them as separate projects allows them to be reviewed on their own schedule. Most of the year I don't need to be reviewing the project, but once the appropriate season rolls around, I'll review it more often to make sure it is getting done (I've got a lot of ceiling fans, and some of them need a ladder to be changed, so the whole project doesn't usually happen at once). Because OF allows me to set both the date of the next review and the review period, I can arrange for those projects not to show up in my reviews until such time as I might actually be doing them. I couldn't do that if I squashed them together into a single SAL or a single project.

Stay tuned for more obscure OmniFocus tips :-)