View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ntrigue View Post
What the pricing has done is satisfy those that feel the need to tout their superiority (these same people will respond on their 11.6" MacBook Air). Pricing of $40 in the App Store is tantamount to insulting existing users that have invested over $100 into a todo list.
I'm sorry to hear you feel that way; it's certainly not our intent to insult anyone!

OmniFocus isn't for everyone. If your needs would be met just as well by a $5 to-do list app, then OmniFocus might not be giving you the value we're trying to provide—which means it might not be the right app for you. If you've already bought an edition and decided it wasn't worth the money, I'd strongly encourage you to take advantage of our money-back guarantee. We want each of our customers to feel enthusiastic about the great value they've received for their purchase, knowing exactly what they paid for it—rather than feeling like they overpaid for what they received.

Most people who have tried OmniFocus for iPad feel that it's really a different experience which lets them connect better than ever before with their tasks, particularly with its new Review and Forecast modes. I see many many tweets like these:
@hotdogsladies: Props to my OmniGroup pals for the stunning OmniFocus for iPad. GTD reviews made sane and--yes--FUN.
@stevensokulski: Just completed my first-ever GTD review because of how fun and easy the new @OmniFocus for iPad makes it.
@IrvTheSwirv: The Omnifocus iPad Review feature is a work of complete and utter genius. I'd say the desktop needs it, but why bother?... iPad is more fun!
@psyton: Have never been able to get a handle on GTD weekly reviews... until @Omnifocus for iPad. Now incredibly simple and useful. Thanks, Omni!
@drewmccormack: One aspect of OmniFocus for iPad that is better than on iPhone/Mac editions is the Review functionality. I was a lapsed reviewer. Not now.
@tonypiper: @OmniFocus have made GTD weekly reviews pleasurable thanks to the iPad app... Bravo!
@tchaten: @kcase Wow OF for iPad is beautiful from icon to interface -finally a GTD app that makes me want to have it open all day!-Forecast (amazing)
@gizmometer: . @OmniFocus for iPad was well worth the wait. Finally: relaxed work planning from my couch. (p.s. forecast view is top notch!)
@gvtmtom: The more I use it the more I like @omnifocus on the iPad. Overall it's quite good and the Forecast view is awesome.
@fakeMacFusion: Forecast view in @omnifocus for iPad is the bomb. Hope they integrate it w/ iPhone and Desktop version.
@chartier: OmniFocus for iPad is exemplary of what full iPad apps should aspire for. Lots of clever UI that solves unique needs. Hats off @kcase.
Now, obviously, just because a bunch of random people really like the iPad app doesn't mean that it will meet your needs. But if you haven't looked at what is actually new about the iPad edition, it's definitely worth taking a closer look.

As for the total cost to people who are already invested…

We'd love to offer an App Store discount to our current Mac customers. Unfortunately, our options are limited on the App Store: it doesn't support discounts on the basis of purchase history—or anything else for that matter; we can't even offer discounts to our own employees! We did take this issue into account when pricing the app, though—that's part of why we chose a price that's just half the price of the desktop app.

We've tried very hard to make sure anyone who has paid $140 for all three editions of OmniFocus continues to feel that they're receiving good value for their purchases individually and collectively, providing major updates like our recent release of OmniFocus 1.8 for Mac. Fortunately, I think the value equation works in everyone's favor, as the total package is worth more than the sum of its parts: OmniFocus for Mac actually gains more than $20 in useful value when you add the iPhone app to the picture and are able to bring the Mac app's tasks with you everywhere. And I think the Mac app easily gains another $40 in useful value when you add to it the Forecast and Review modes from the iPad app.

But whether you're using all three editions or just one, we're committed to making sure that each edition of the app pulls its own weight and gives you great value for what you've paid.