View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Betz
1. Is there an order of precedence between automatic formatting by level and formatting by column?
Yes there is (unfortunately: hard-wired): Row level styles take precedence over column styles.

Some time ago on the OO List, I presented my idea on how to make style application precedence user-selectable in a what seems to me an easy, logical, but flexible way:

"Allow re-ordering of the generated/automatic styles in the utilities drawer."

They seem to already be displayed in the order they are applied from top to bottom. Simply being able to drag the styles to a different position and therefore enforcing the precedence of application would give the most flexibility, as e.g. different columns could be handled differently (instead of a "it's rows or columns first, boy" mechanism). So some columns might inherit from the row style, while some wouldn't (if dragged below all row styles). It might even be possible to only override column styling on certain levels etc.

For example, if I had a date column which I wanted to get formatted the same for all rows (regardless of their level), I'd just reorder the default of

Whole Document
Note (Column 1)
Topic (Column 2)
Date (Column 3)
Column Titles
All level 1 rows
All level 2 rows

to

Whole Document
Note (Column 1)
Topic (Column 2)
Column Titles
All level 1 rows
All level 2 rows
Date (Column 3)

to format the Date column in the same, unobtrusive style for all rows.