View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tacartwright
I think this sounds good, but I’m unclear about one thing. What does it mean to filter contexts by more than one context? Does it mean that ALL selected contexts must be on the task or ANY?

And do you have any interface thoughts for context selection? My big thing is that I want to see multiple contexts at once — all of the ones that apply now. Mine tend to overlap a lot. I’m not sure how multiple contexts and contexts tags would work together. What do you think?

— Tim
I was unclear with the filtering contexts by more than one context.
The simplist application of this is... filtering tasks by more than one context. The filtering contexts by contexts I'll explain at the end of this post.

Example:
projectA
-relable router: @work, @intern

projectB
-ship video server: @work

projectC
-call client: @work, @calls

projectD
-call friend: @home, @calls

If I am at work, in the task list I select the @work context
@work
relable router
ship video server
call client

If I am at a phone and want to focus on work calls I select the @work & @ calls context
@work, @calls
call client

If I am at a phone and want to focus on all calls.
@calls
call client
call friend

If a new intern is thrown at me and I need to give them something to do:
@intern
relable router

As far as seeing the multiple contexts at once...
If you have a @work context, and all tasks have that context, you'll see everything that you have @work.

If you have a @all context, and everything has an all context, then you'll see everything.

Although, I'm not sure why you would want to see everything at once. Except maybe to scan through and pick what you want to start working on. Everything in GTD principle is context based.

As for interface,
my first thought is to have a dropdown box up at the top of the task list. You select the first context.
A second drop down box appears next to it,
listing only those contexts that can be chosen with the first context.

Using the same example:
The user selects @work for the first context.
Another dropdown appears to the right of @work and has these selections:
@calls
@intern

The user selects @calls. The top of the task list shows...
@work @calls

If the user is finnished with @calls, they click on a small x to the left of the calls (like a safari tab) and the context disappears.

Now the user is seeing all @work items.

As a context is selected, the contexts that can be selected are filtered down to only what the two share.

The interface is just an idea, I'm sure Omnipeople will be able to come up with a beautiful and super efficiant interface for choosing contexts.