View Single Post
In my experience this is a common scenario - you think the project is going to start on a specific date so build the project that way, then it moves... So I think it has to be realistically dealt with.

A work-around is to switch the project to start on an unspecified date, and then switch it back to a specified date, which will update it to today's date, and then make changes from there. It won't keep everything relatively aligned, but it seems to work better than just switching the date without the intermediate step.

I just tried setting a new start date for a project which has a combination of tasks that are set to specific dates and others which are based on dependencies. When I move the start date into the future the tasks with dependencies seem to move OK, but some of the ones with specific dates get violations as they start before the new overall project kick-off.

I think it would make sense to offer an option when one changes the project start date: Ask if the user wants to keep all activities relative to that date (everything gets bumped), or stick to absolute dates (dependent and floating tasks get bumped, ones with specific start dates do not).

Adam