View Single Post
Here I am, late at night. Figured I'd write out these lingering OF thoughts in hopes of getting some feedback. I won't drag this out, just get to the points.

Obviously like anyone else exposed to both GTD & OF I want to feel very productive at the end of each day. Lately I've noticed that I'm not exactly doing that. Many times in my first class at University during that day i'll write on the side of my notebook page things I want to accomplish for the day, first regarding all my available actions in my OF iPod Touch app. I'll write many next action steps, so many that hardly a few will be touched at the end of the day. I've learned that I can't get it all done in one day so implemented two repeating actions in OF...

The Morning Review & Evening Review.

These consist of emptying email inbox, mind sweep, OF inbox sweep, looking at available next actions and if they're stuck, etc. . .

Unfortunately these actions hardly get touched in the morning and evening; It seems like I wanted to regulate my mornings and evenings so i'll keep my system up to date yet these "Checking morning/evening review" actions in OF are drowned in the sea of other available actions. I found this interesting.

Secondly, it's obvious to me that i've attempted to add my entire life within OF. It was just yesterday that I left my iPod Touch (which has OF, iCal and Mail) at my friends house. When I returned to retrieve it my friend played a prank on me saying I didn't leave it there. As he had a good laugh I explained to him the OF app, and how I pretty much had my days dictated by OF and iCal. The example I gave him was that I have my entire life on that iPod Touch (& Mac) so nothing is in my mind. (& I pointed to my head saying literally nothing was in there. At 1st he thought I was joking but then he noticed I was serious. Well, I have no problem admitting i've tried to set up every aspect of my life in OF but admit as well at times find it odd that my whole life should be dictated by something other than my spontaneous unpredictability.

As much as I love OF & GTD, and hearing about GTD Professionals falling off the wagon regularly I find it frustrating that the most important projects in my life are usually the ones least being touched. I have a great GTD saying on my home corkboard explaining the reasons for procrastination withing GTD: That Procrastination is either "Apathy" or "Anxiety: Too big or complex, physical discomfort, emotional discomfort or fear of loss or control." Many times when I noticed important projects I just don't touch I take a long moment to notice why I'm putting it off.
I hate this because these important projects that aren't getting touched, lag the entire GTD/OF system.

For example, currently I have university classes as the most important focal point on my list. But they aren't getting done. If we take Math for example (I hate math, incredibly) bi-daily math quizzes and bi-weekly Exams are being thrown at me (very important) but hardly get touched because, I hate it. Before I began this semester many of my projects would simply get done. I remember this summer I would be getting so many of my projects done that when the Weekly Review came, I noticed that I had less than a handful of projects to complete since I was actually tackling what needed to get done in my life; so much so I brought in many someday/maybe items to fill up the time. But something like math, and my lack of actually doing it slows down my whole system. Rather than explaining why one projects in OF would slow almost everything down i'll assume as fellow OF & GTD'er's you know what i'm talking about.

I said I wouldn't drag this post out but end with this:

I, like everyone want to have incredibly productive days and I genuinely feel that i've experienced them, but when very important projects come around my whole system suffers...and rather then thinking that my system will get back to normal once the Math class ends at the end of the Fall Semester, have accepted and welcomed the thought that in life i'll usually have some projects that i'll either hate doing or feel apathetic towards...but they'll be in my OF system because in one form or another are important and play a vital role towards my growth in whichever manner. You'll notice I didn't necessarily ask a question here but rather feel it as an open discussion, not just about my issues but yours. Since we all have the common interest of Getting Things Done and OmniFocus, yet can't talk about this in person feel it be important to discuss the issues that linger on our mind about the system we all implement on a daily basis, that all of us are trying to get right.

*Edit: I quickly wanted to mention that at times I'll procratinate on the Weekly Review, though interestingly after finishing it always thought, "This wasn't so bad. Why didn't I do this sooner?" Well, I just wanted to throw out there that I find it incredibly helpful to scan my OF Inbox before doing the Weekly Review and rewritten everything in my Inbox. Say I have 75 Inbox items, i'll go through each and every one of them, rewrite them still in the OF Inbox and i'll feel refreshed on everything that was on my mind and in my current inbox, allowing me to tackle the OF Inbox and Weekly Review a lot easier.

Last edited by HappyDude; 2009-10-03 at 02:14 AM..