View Single Post
I'm obviously the odd one out: I have set up contexts for "Home: Arriving", "Home: Leaving", "Work: Arriving" and "Work: Leaving". These work wonderfully for me, except one little niggle.

My little niggle is simply that the notifications show up on the lock screen: wonderful! So I unlock one of the 42-odd notifications, and OmniFocus is opened … to where I last closed it. What was that notification again? Which context was notification #22 based in?

As an example, I arrived home last night at which point OmniFocus displayed the alert for "RSVP To Maker BBQ at Hackerspace" (the invite is at home, so I just need to be reminded to RSVP when I get home) - this was in "Home:Arriving" which is a context set up with an "entering" geofence. Alongside that was a reminder to start recording the last episode of Spicks and Specks - this was in "Home" with a due time.

Before I left work, I had been looking at the "Work:Project X" context.

So when I unlocked the phone by sliding over the "RSVP to Maker BBQ" reminder, OmniFocus opened up to the "Work:Project X" context.

If I have multiple items in a geofenced context, I'd like to get only one reminder about the tasks in that context. For any notification, it would be nice if activating OmniFocus through that notification would bring me to the appropriate context for that action.

So if I swipe-to-unlock on a notification generated by the Home:Arriving geofence, I'd like to have OmniFocus opened up viewing the "Home:Arriving" context.

If I swipe-to-unlock on a notification generated by an alarm on an action, I could care less what view/mode OmniFocus is open in, as long as that action was visible. Ideally, there would be a separate "perspective" for "recently notified actions" which grouped the actions by context or project depending on my preferences.

PS: for clarity, the "Leaving" contexts are for stuff I have to do as general errands. If I wanted to remind myself to pick up stuff for dinner, I'd put that in the "Work: Leaving" context. If I wanted to remind myself to recharge my bus ticket today, that would go on Home: Leaving (since I'd be travelling by bus, and the reminder would come up as I'm heading out to the bus stop).

I have things like "check that oven is turned off" and "check that iron is unplugged" in a checklist (using Simplist), which is also where I store my Daily/Weekly/Monthly reviews. I have a recurring action in OmniFocus to run through these checklists, with the "morning exit" checklist reminder going off every morning.

Last edited by Grail; 2011-12-06 at 08:35 PM..