View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDork View Post
I have another example that might be a better example of why I'd like to be able to set more than one context to an action.

EXAMPLE 1
---------------
Let's say I have an action "Buy OmniFocus" and it's context is @online.

I have access to the internet from home and at work. I COULD create an @online context independent of my @Work and @Home contexts, but the need for discrete versions of @online can also be made, thusly:

-- "Catch up with facebook friends" @work/online is a no-no.
-- "Read super secret work document" @home/online won't work because I don't have vpn

In the case of "Buy OmniFocus", it's appropriate and suitable to set it's context to either/both "@work/online" or "@home/online". If I could set it to both, I'd be reminded to buy it when I was both at home and at work.
I also have both work and non-work online contexts, and over time all of my contexts have become pretty much mutually exclusive. Not exclusively, but nearly always, there is only one best context for any action. To me, the “Buy OmniFocus” is not a work/online action because you’re not working when you’re doing that action. Don’t get me wrong, I realize that you can do it while you’re at work, but keep in mind that you have your non-work/online context with you at work. For me, I start with my work contexts and start from the top, and when I want a break from work for a while, then I go to my non-work contexts and start from the top. A benefit of having only one context per action in this example is that when you’re working, you’re not reminded about buying OmniFocus: you’re only reminded about working. When you’re not working, you’re reminded about OmniFocus, and not reminded about working. It is a different approach, but I think it has its benefits.