View Single Post
I'm finding that OmniFocus is great for the lower Horizons..... The runway, projects, and areas of responsibilities....

I just struggled to get up to the higher levels. I guess I wasn't quite ready even though I was wanting and willing..... I had previously done it in OmniOutliner but I found myself not really looking at it as much as I should.

I remembered seeing a mindmap in the David Allen's first GTD book and decided to see if I could do one for myself.

I started doing a mindmap in in MindNode (free at the Mac App Store) because I'm a newbie at Mindmapping. I was impressed by the simplicity of MindNode and decided to purchase Mindnode Pro for $20.00 at the Mac App Store. In there, I created a jpeg image that I used as my desktop background. Whenever in doubt, I would use Expose to hide all the windows to reveal my mindmap which was my desktop background.

Later, I upgraded up to Mindjet MindManager and that's when my upper horizons started clicking for me. I haven't quite gotten up to "Purpose" but I'm sure I will someday.

Right now, I'm trying out the beta for NovaMind 5 and it is looking like the program I'll be switching to. It seems a bit more Mac Friendly. NovaMind 5 is in beta right now with an official release in the next couple of months.

I like being able to looking at my mindmap as a graphical map as well as in outline mode at the same time. it has helped provide greater clarity for me.

I never really felt like a mindmap fella until I started tinkering with it fairly recently.

I think mindmap programs are better suited for the higher Horizons of Focus whereas OmniFocus is the better tool for Runway, Projects, and Areas of Focus/Responsibilities.