View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
In the dialog, we do offer you the choice of not keeping data all the way back to the oldest sync time: you can unregister the old client, and collapse all that history which was being preserved for it.

The downside to collapsing all that history is that OmniFocus will no longer have any way to tell whether outstanding changes on that out-of-sync client are newer or older than the changes made on other machines (since they no longer have a record of what's newer and older). The upshot of this is that the next time you sync you'll be asked to make a "server or local" choice, and lose all changes from the side you didn't choose.
I'm aware after having read this thread that there are workarounds. I'm asking you to consider that it's possible to have a model where the state of a client on my laptop does not affect the speed of the synchronization on my desktop or iPhone. Why do I have to choose between speedy backups and convenience? Can't I have both? Is this an intractable programming problem?