View Single Post
I was a long-time user of Ecco - since version 1 - in my pre-2007 (when I switched to Mac) days. Today, I needed to find something in an old Ecco outline and discovered something amazing.

I was able to import the outline perfectly into OO.

Ecco gives you 8 different formats to use for exporting: so I tried each, and discovered that the format called "Outline Only (Tab Indented)" works great.

Every separate item from an Ecco outline becomes a separate item in OO. Child items from Ecco appear in OO as children, and are indented the proper number of levels. OO's disclosure triangles expand and collapse items exactly as they expand and contract in Ecco. So I can import an outline from Ecco and not do any editing whatsoever to make it just as usable in OO.

The only problem is outlines with column data come across a bit funky, but I can work around that.

Given the amount of data and work I had in my Ecco outlines, this is a huge relief to me. I post this for 2 reasons: a) if anyone else switched from Ecco, this may be of use to them, and b) I'm far too happy to keep this to myself.