Thread: Student Inquiry
View Single Post
I didn't discover Outliner until after college, but I used Outliner taking notes at the WWDC conference a month ago. I just created a separate top-level session I attended. You'll probably want a separate file for each class you're taking.

Some profs are great at organizing lectures into outlines -- they'll make it easy. Other profs will wander all over the place -- for these ones, don't let an obsession about keeping your notes in neat hierarchy keep you from getting down all the info. Go back after class and reorganize it into pretty note form. (It doesn't hurt to review your notes a couple hours after class anyhow -- it'll help you move it from short to long-term memory.)

If you've got Graffle or some other drawing app that works as a LinkBack server, keep that handy too. When a prof starts drawing a graph (econ, chemistry, etc.), switch over to the drawing graph, and sketch it up. Then when you clean up your notes, you can attach it to your outline. It'll show up as a plain old image (pdf maybe, or jpeg? I forget.), but you can use the context menu on the image to re-launch the app you used to create the image in the first place. Then you can tweak it and close it, and your outline will be automatically updated. But all the data's still stored and displayed in your outliner file.