View Single Post
Excellent points! I hadn't taken the thought out to due date +30d of the start date, and the start date is relative based on when the action becomes available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
However, it also occurs that this starts to approach the functionality of full PM applications like OmniPlan, and probably isn't a simple thing to add to OmniFocus.
There's always the dream that someday the two will interface with the two. I've purchased OmniPlan, and while there is a great deal of functionality in it, trying to get data into it is cumbersome. Only my opinion.

What I love about OmniFocus is the small things:
• searching for project/context when I start typing
• ability to add a new project with the command+enter key
• ability to add a project nested into a folder by typing minimal keys
(example: Home <folder>: Maintenance <folder> I can create a new project by typing: h:m:My New project <command+enter>)
• ability to tab around an action
• all the terrific date shortcuts like +3d

All of these simple things took work by the developers to implement. There are too many apps out in the world that do not think of these things, or don't put the effort into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdh View Post
While relative dates might work fine while things are lined up, what happens when you start moving tasks around, even within the same project, much less between projects. Dependencies and relative dates then have to be recalculated in a number of different ways. None of this is incredibly difficult, but it would likely require some more significant development effort than simply calculating relative dates within a single action. It might even require a complete rewrite of the way that OmniFocus currently handles inter-task dependencies.
True. Something that may seem simple to the user may be a lot of work for the developers. However, if a date is relative to when the action becomes available, then that relative date is self contained and not necessarily dependent.

All this to say, I'm not sure how much I would use these features. And that is a question that the folks at OmniGroup have to constantly wrestle with. Will this addition be worth the effort we are putting into it? How much use will it get? Where does it's priority lie with all the other possible additions?

And as users, what we think would be a great way of processing, may not be as great as we think.