View Single Post
Hello Michelle,

Thank you for your request for feedback about the ordering of tasks. In your question you limit our options to parallel or sequential. I feel that neither of the options under this duality meet my needs.

I would like to be able to organize tasks so that we can show all dependencies among tasks through drag and drop and the program should automatically shift the structure to reorganize the tasks so that tasks that are now next actions are identified as such and the dependencies are respected when a task is marked off as done.

To illustrate this please consider the following example, a set of project tasks all in the same context, where indentation indicates dependency of a task on the task above.

task 1
task a
task b
task c
task 2
task d
task e
task f
The next actions at this point are; tasks 1 and 2.

In this arrangement tasks a and b are dependent on task 1, task c is dependent on task b, tasks d, e and f are dependent on task 2.

Or in other words, tasks 1 and 2 are in parallel as are tasks a and b, and d, e and f. Tasks a and b are sequential to task 1, c is sequential to b, and d, e and f are sequential to task 2.

When task 1 in completed I would like the task list for the project to automatically become;

task a
task b
task c
task 2
task d
task e
task f
and the list of next actions to automatically become;

task a
task b
task 2

When task b is completed I would like the task list for the project to automatically become;

task a
task c
task 2
task d
task e
task f
and the next action list for the project to become;

task a
task c
task 2.

For me this ability to show all dependencies, to show all sequential and parallel actions in one screen is absolutely necessary. The automatic reordering of the tasks and the automatic recreation of next action lists when a task is checked off as completed is also necessary for the GTD program to support me rather than get in my way. I would like to be able to reorganize tasks through drag and drop functionality.

I guess in conclusion I do not see any project being composed of only sequential or parallel tasks.

I hope this ability, as described above, can be integrated into your program.

Thanks,

Paul