View Single Post
You bring up an excellent point about there being a lot of overlap between four different kinds of apps:

1) Omni Focus (dedicated GTD-type app)
2) Omni Plan (project management)
3) Omni Outliner (flexible outliner that can be used for many different kinds of things including 1 and 2 above)
4) Graphical representation of ideas linked together

On Windows, MindJet's Mind Manager is much more powerful than the watered-down (dumbed-down) Mac version, and it can export very well to Microsoft Project and other tools.

The Mac has a good implementation of Inspiration, which can show ideas graphically and in outline fashion.

It's easy to say "combine them", but then you end up with a complex tool that has too many options and different user bases. A project management tool considers start and end times more, priorities, resource assignments, and things like Gant (sp) / PERT charting, things beyond a GTD-type app.

I no longer work in corporate America, but I did for about 15 years as a programmer, database analyst, and manager of some very complex projects.

I would have a file for each project in Microsoft Project (or on the Mac side Omni Plan). I would keep my tasks in Bonsai (or Omni Focus). I would use Omni Outliner to perhaps replace Omni Focus especially since it allows the addition of columns to an outline. I would use Inspiration or Mind Manager or Omnigraffle (sp) for brainstorming.

The main limitation for me of Omni Focus is that there is no way to have multiple contexts, tags, or keywords easily assigned to an activity. Hopefully this will be fixed because it is a huge limitation. I use Bonsai right now for my GTD-type app, but for the Mac-only users, maybe Omni Outliner would work if implemented well (I am licensed for Omni Outliner but haven't explored it enough yet).

Sometimes copy / past, import, export, save as, ... can enable moving or copying information from one app into another. Very few tools though keep things in Sync, with the exception of Mind Manager and MS Project.