View Single Post
While GTD is great for personal productivity, I'm not sure it's the best tool for managing complex situations where multiple people need to work together to produce deliverables that have dependencies on each other in pursuit of a common goal (i.e., a traditional "project").

In my situation I am sheparding the process of selecting an enterprise application for a major department in the Federal government. I used to use MS Project for this, but have now shifted to OP.

As I use OF for my personal tasks, I'd like a way of syncing the two.

Question:

Is this the best way to get my personal tasks from OP to OF currently?
  1. Export plan from OP in OO3 format
  2. Choose Import and select OO3 file in OF
  3. Map "assigned to" to Context, and finish the import
  4. In Inbox, assign the whole set of tasks to a project
  5. In context mode, delete all tasks that are not in the context with my name on it

Seems rather cumbersome, but I don't see a way to simply export MY tasks from OP.

Enhancement requests:

1. Have a simpler way to export a set of tasks in OP, not simply everything.
2. Obviously, have a direct one-way export from OP to OF format
3. Allow task status information to be sent back from OF to OP

Unlike several of the folks here, I would regard the project plan as canonical, and an individual's tasks related to that project should flow from the project, not vice versa. I think that the OF to OP request is unique to folks who are doing their own projects, rather than (as in traditional project management) coordinating and tracking multiple resources.

Thus, the "limited two-way" sync I'd like to see would enable the user to send back to OP the following:

1. Task status (complete, in progress, not started)
2. Percent complete
3. Effort applied
4. Date complete

In other words, to send back the things one would normally need to input from each individual team member to assess slippage in dates and effort.

I know the enhancement requests will be for a future version, but I'd like to know whether the work around I'm creating is the best way to get my OP tasks into OF for a given project.

Thanks, and thanks for some great products!!!