View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rael View Post
I'm certainly not implying they should all 3 be identical. I'm not complaining that this wasn't a universal app. I'm not even saying that it's inherently bad. I am having a bit of a problem with a third version coming out that deliberately breaks established UI conventions (established for OmniFocus) seemingly for no other reason than to be different. I don't know if this will be changed. I don't know if I'll just adapt to switching my thinking back and forth depending on the platform I'm using. I'm just mentioning the most obnoxious (to me) change to the software and asking if I missed something.

For what it's worth; I've purchased pretty much everything Omni Group has developed and I've been genuinely happy with the way the programs all just get out of your way and let you do what you need to do (very Apple-like to borrow a phrase). OmniFocus for iPad is the first of their programs that I really find myself fighting on a day to day basis (yes it hasn't been that many days yet). I am hopeful there will be continued polishing and refinement and this will truly be an app that was worth the wait. While waiting I've also extensively used Things and ToDo both of which have their pros and cons but I keep coming back to OmniFocus mainly for the sync with MobileMe and the overall quality of the company (still wish scheduled tasks worked on the iPad / iPod but that's a different discussion).

To all, please don't mistake my post for random bitching and moaning. I absolutely think the iPad interface offers different challenges and rewards and the apps should do everything they can to capitalize on those differences (having already purchased two and never being more than arm's length from one, I "get" the iPad). I think OmniFocus for iPad is o.k. and maybe on it's way to being great it just didn't feel "right" to me right out of the gate. Perhaps my expectations were too high after a month of waiting.

Forgive my near rant. This may be the app / program that I use the most in my day to day and I really do want to love it.
Hello, I don't think anyone thought you did. Yes, this is way different from iPhone and especially from Mac. However, more I use the program, more I like the interface. Is it perfect? No, but it doesn't get in the way of my planning and getting things done unlike some other programs.

I remember listening to songs that are way different, or looking at paintings that I had a negative reaction intially. Some of these songs and paintings have grown on me after multiple listening and seeing, and now some of them are my favorite.

Perhaps this is where you might need to use the program for a few weeks to get used to the different feel.

I also remember getting the iPhone and trying to get used to the virtual keyboard (former Blackberry and Palm Treo user here), and now I can't go back to the physical keyboard. I love the virtual keyboard - I can type faster and it puts less stress on my fingers.