View Single Post
Also worth noting is that purchasers through Omni's online store can run "sneaky peek" builds, allowing them to use new features (or major bugfixes) before they are released and have a more immediate feedback into how new features develop. It isn't impossible for Omni to provide similar software for iOS devices, but Apple makes it difficult by imposing limits on how many individual devices can be used, and a good number of those slots are used up just by Omni employees, so the number of beta testers for something like OmniFocus for iPad was quite small (on the order of 10) compared to OmniFocus for Mac (many 100s for the initial release, I believe).

I'm sure there are a lot of developers and users eagerly awaiting the arrival of some sort of support for "2.0" versions in the App Store! Personally, the Omni apps I've bought have delivered so much value and get so much use that if I had to rebuy the whole thing for the next major version, I would grumble a bit, then reach for my wallet. If the program isn't going to save me the purchase cost over a year or two of use, I shouldn't have bought it in the first place (and there's little point in upgrading). I think that their upgrade policy with apps in their store is very reasonable (you pay roughly 1/3 of the cost of the new version to go from any older version to current), you get a huge pile of new features (and the long tail of additional development and bug fixing until the next major version, which is usually a couple of years), and I hope that Apple eventually provides a way for them to offer a similar deal to App Store customers, because I think there will be a lot of them.