View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by judisohn View Post
Well, for example "Skip sub-selection to select ALL immediately (ESC key)" .... huh?!?
It gave you a list of matches. You might not want all of them, so it gives you that dialog and lets you select all, some, or none. You can click that button to get all of them, or you can press the ESC key to get all of them if you prefer using the keyboard to the mouse/trackpad. It also documents that behavior right there in front of your eyes, so you don't have to remember that it is the ESC key. Both the inexperienced user and the experienced user in a hurry are accommodated.
Quote:
And when you start a new search and change your mind, the only way out of the box that pops up is a button marked "Esc"
Pressing the ESC key is in fact a standard way to abort many operations on the Mac. Ever started dragging some files in the Finder, only to decide you didn't want to do that? Hit the ESC key. Dialog box or sheet that you don't want? Hit the ESC key.
Quote:
I know this isn't an official product or project of Omni, and I'm grateful that another user put the time into making this for the community. But it doesn't let the Omni folks off their obligation to provide this functionality in a user-friendly way.

Yes, it's really useful. But clunky. That's all I'm saying. :-)
What obligation? There's no more obligation to deliver that feature than there is that Apple deliver some really cool way to control my iPad from my iMac. It may be an obvious extension of what is already there, but no promise to deliver same was made prior to money changing hands. Now, as it turns out, the Omni folks are pretty accommodating of such requests in the grand scheme of things, at least if you follow their recommendations about how to ask for changes (use Help->Send Feedback), and many other users ask for the same feature. But they've already given you the means to look at your list of tasks and spot the ones starting on Monday, as I described in my second post. If you want to skip to a certain point in the list, bring up the search box with cmd-F and search for a date. For this particular task, Rob's script is perhaps overkill, but it gives a nice jumping off point for considerably more complicated searches.

The fact that something like this can be implemented by a third party script is a blessing, because time spent by Omni delivering built-in versions of this functionality is time they can't spend building other functionality which is not amenable to solution by Applescript (an example would be kingsinger's wish for optionally reversing the sort order).