View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbell View Post
This is something I struggle with, and though I think it would a great option for people to have, I don't think I would end up using it.

I'm not a fundie David Allenite, but isn't this a "hard landscape" issue? I mean to say, isn't a daily/weekly/monthly routine checklists that are do-or-die "brush your teeth" tasks in a strict cycle just more useful outside of your weekly reviewed task list, far away from the choices we're forced to make about how to use our time?

I'm an extremely disorganized person with a nearly infinitely flexible schedule, and I'm struggling to be a more efficient worker and taking GTD one step at a time. I found that when I moved my routine into the "sacred territory" where it belonged, my efficiency increased because required things (like "process inbox") no longer appeared in my optional list.

Again, I think this would be a great option for people who want it, and it's clearly a style question (i.e. people who want a do-it-all task manager). I guess my question is, for your maximum efficiency, what shouldn't go in OF?
I keep these types of checklists in OF in a separate folder. I used to keep them on a calendar in iCal, but it was just too cluttered, and everything got lost.

I also use time-related contexts: for example, "Daily", "Monday", "Tuesday", etc., "Monthly," "Quarterly," "Periodically," "End of FY," etc. If it is a Wednesday, I can look at my "Wednesday" context for the routine items that need to get done that day. That way I can schedule the weekly routine *stuff* over the course of a week.

Of course, syncing with iCal (and through iCal to other devices) is a problem since we cannot specify (yet???) what to sync, and I don't want these items in iCal. I solve that by not syncing. I understand that others really don't have that option. They need to use iCal to sync to a Palm or something else.

As for daily repeating items limited to work week days, I think that is a issue for many people. I like the way iCal handles it and would like to see that functionality in OF. That way the user could set the repeat to any combination of days, not just week days.

In the meantime, if I wanted to use the repeating feature, I would work around the missing functionality by listing the same action five times, set the assigned date of each to a different weekday, and then have each occurrence repeat weekly from the assigned date.

I don't use the repeat function for "Daily" or "Weekly" items because I rarely take the time to check off those items. I do use it for "Monthly" and "Yearly" items.

Last edited by dhm2006; 2007-09-05 at 05:03 AM..