View Single Post
For those who haven't been paying close attention, here's the background:

Apple is trying to make Safari more secure, so they've created a sandbox for browser extensions written in JavaScript—very similar to the extension mechanisms for Firefox and Chrome. AgileBits has rebuilt their 1Password browser extension using this approach, and they've got it working in those three browsers.

OmniWeb supports several mechanisms for extending the browser (some dating back to the mid-'90s), and those mechanisms still work—but none of them are JavaScript-based, so they're not compatible with this new 1Password browser extension. (Presumably, if you still have a copy of the older OmniWeb-compatible version of 1Password it would still work the same as it always did.)

So, how do we fix this?

Roustem (AgileBits' CEO) and I had a brief conversation last week about how we might get the latest 1Password working in OmniWeb, and it sounds like the easiest way would be for OmniWeb to implement the same sort of browser extension mechanism that Safari, Firefox, and Chrome have implemented. (That approach would have other benefits as well, potentially giving OmniWeb the ability to run other extensions.)

That seems like a reasonable approach to me, but we have a lot of higher priority projects on our plate at the moment (iCloud updates, OmniPlan for iPad, OmniOutliner 4, and a major update to OmniFocus) so I'm not sure how soon we'll be able to do that.

What can you do?

Keep letting us know this is important to you: that helps us decide where to put our resources. And please, don't blame Apple or AgileBits for making a very appropriate decision to implement a more secure system for browser extensions.

Last edited by Ken Case; 2011-09-12 at 02:56 PM.. Reason: removed a stray asterisk