Thread: OO Pro 4.0?
View Single Post
Hi all, I used to use some Omni software a *long* time ago on NeXT TurboColor workstations. I recently purchased a Mac and so am looking into OmniGroup software again.

I'll be running a small but intense project this summer and am looking for project management software. OmniPlan seems overkill for group smaller than five people. OmniOutliner looks much more like what I need but a few features would really hit the nail on the head.

1) Collaboration. This is easily the most important feature for me. There's a product called Process which comes close with this. They allow realtime collaboration over the network but not in a very configurable way. My group is spread across the United States so local network discovery doesn't help me very much. The previous post about syncing with a db server would solve my problem very nicely. Ad-hoc collaboration would be nice too, but I'm getting greedy.

2) Revision control. I store everything in svn, and while svn can store binary files, I can't do a meaningful diff on binary files. The easy fix for this would be to store the file as a text file. Yes, this would create bloat, but svn only stores diffs across revisions so no real bloat. An even better solution would be svn integration. This would allow you to "publish to svn" or something like that and you could put features in to view the history of the file. Text files would be unnecessary with this.

Of course the db integration would take care of revision control, but then a nice way to do both would be have a local sqlite file. I've seen db server/sqlite connectivity in some sort of app before. I think they did it that way because then the app can always think its talking to a server and it just makes it somewhat easier to program.

Anyway, sorry for being so long winded.

-Dave