View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffAirey View Post
This might sound like a daft idea, but Evernote covers a lot of these requirements, why re-invent the wheel
If you read the link I provided, you would see that I have tried Evernote.
While it has many great features, it falls short.

Quote:
And I do like Circus Ponies Auto-Indexing features - More difficult but not required with Tags
No, not even close. Totally different feature. You did see the word auto, right? Much more extensive. And it does more than simple words.

Quote:
- You should be able to create structured text, such as outlines and numbered outlines with auto styling (like OmniOutliner for iPad) - Semi covered
Semi is right. Maybe semi, semi. Only the very basic outlining and numbering provided. No control over numbering style, no ability to style individual levels to help make them stand out.
But the big issue here is there is absolutely ZERO ability to do ANY outlining or numbering of this on the iPad, not even a TAB key.
In fact, you can't even EDIt Rich Notes on the iPad.
Complete Fail.

Quote:
You should be able to do a quick finger sketch and simple diagramming - Not sure how easy it would be to amend later
I have several note taking apps on the iPad that provide drawing features that can also amend them.

Quote:
- You should be able to create tables to hold structured data - Covered
Are you KIDDING me? Have you used Evernote?
First of all, the only thing you can do do on the iPad is edit the text inside of a table cell. You can't create tables.
But even on the full-fledged Mac app, you can't:
- insert columns or rows in a table
- add a fill color to a cell
- merge cells
- heck, you can't even drag a column/row border to change it
- if you insert a table at fixed size, you can't control its width

Quote:
- Ability to "highlight" text (like in iBooks) - Not sure
Nope

Quote:
- Ability to send an item to OmniFocus Inbox would be killer - Not sure
Nope

Quote:
- I like the ability to record audio and link the text that I type with the audio recording (but this would be lower on my initial needs) - Not sure
You can record audio, but it doesn't link your typing to the time.

Also, if you had extensive notes, you would have to pay for the service.

Anyways, my point is I have tried many of these apps, and they all fall short, and I think that OmniGroup would do a fanatic job of this, and it fits in with their existing apps.